2021 CONTEST Winners
The Hal Bernard Memorial Award for Novel (sponsored by Buzz Bernard)
1. Where the Blacktop Ends – Candace Carter
2. Mia Zia Italian Misadventures – Muriel Pritchett
3. Being Blue – Kasie Whitener
HM Banshee’s Wail – Terry Friedman
HM In Her Enemies’ House – Sherri Stewart
The Vega Award for Speculative Short Fiction (sponsored by Sandra Giles)
1. Xtabay Wulf Moon
2. Kalar and the Giant Ginny Shephard
3. Killed or Injured Susan Lindsley
The Award for Excellence in Inspirational Writing (sponsored by Mary Stripling)
1. Grieving over Purses – Martha Thwaite Weeks
2. My Pandemic Uprising – Sheri Denkensohn
3. When I am Dead – Susan Lindsley
The Humor Award (sponsored by Authors Ignite)
1. Bring on the Ravens – Terry Friedman
2. Dream On – Leah Miller
Microcosm Award (sponsored by Charlotte Henley Babb)
1. Who’s Joey - Ginny Shephard
2. Lilith and the Thronguk Wulf Moon
3. Uncanny Shannon Fox
HM (Un) Broken Pipe -Susan Lindsley
Young Adult/Midgrade Award (sponsored by Amy Wethington)
1. Aliens Spurlock – Muriel Pritchett
2. Ford the Pacholet – Richard Meehan
Award for Historical Fiction (sponsored by Jim Furry & Eye on the Page)
1. Murder on Parade – Susan Lindsley
2. White Smoke – Wulf Moon
The Lowcountry Award for Excellence in Southern Writing (sponsored by Dana Ridenour)
1. Detour – Martha Thwaite Weeks
2. The Anniversary – Allen Stevenson
3. The Man Inside – John MacIlroy
The Amy Munnell Award for Character Essays (sponsored by Cappy Hall Rearick)
1. Three Buses – John MacIlroy
2. Flannery – Susan Lindsley
3. Jersey Shrimper – Teri Ward
The Southern Pen Bookshop First Novel Award (sponsored by Vickie Bley)
1. Death Rides in Autumn – Shannon Fox
2. Bone Pendant Girls – Terry Friedman
3. Driftweaver – Wulf Moon
Writers Helping Writers Award recipient
CD Mitchell is being honored for his generous donation of his time and talents last October (2020) in leading a four-part writer workshop series.
Welcome to SWA!
SWA is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting writers across the southeast and farther, through access to education and training, peer support, and resources. Founded in 1975, our membership is comprised of a diverse group of writers from more than twelve Southern and Mid-Atlantic states who represent a variety of genres, styles, and levels of experience, but who are bound by a common passion for the written word.
We invite you to browse our website to learn more about us, then consider joining us. Membership is only $35 per year and includes benefits such as:
Discounts on training sessions and other events
A subscription to the Purple Pros, the SWA newsletter
Publication and event announcements in the SWA newsletter
Publicity news updates on our website
Publicity web link for your website or blog
Book sales at the conference and events
Contest opportunities with cash prizes
Consultations with agents and editors at our conference
Access to GET PUBLISHED! – a listing of contests and publication opportunities for members only
Click here for
(via US Mail)
Prefer a paper form? Click on the box to go to the mail-in membership form.
Become a member - you'll be glad you did!
Visit us on Facebook
SWA has been helping writing for 45 years.
Become a sponsor for SWA and help us continue our mission.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
and we will provide you with information.
Just wish to make a donation?
Click on the PayPal button.